PLAY MAKE CREATE - A Process Art Handbook
By Meri Cherry
Packed with joyful and educational art experiences for kids, the book Play, Make, Create offers fun and engaging imaginative activities focused on the fun and reward of creating, not just producing a final project.
Founded in a process-based philosophy, this unique book includes more than 40 activities set up as invitations, or thoughtfully designed prompts to explore, create, and play. Author Meri Cherry has more than 20 years of teaching experience, and her blog mericherry.com is full of fun process art activities for kids.
Play, Make, Create begins with a guide for parents, teachers, and facilitators that discusses how to set up materials in an inviting way, how to present an activity and talk to kids about art, and how to stock the right materials for ongoing creativity. Also included are best-practice tips for clean-up, answers to frequently asked questions, and more.
The book offers four types of creative invitations: Invitations to Explore (easy ideas for fun and play), Invitations to Create (open-ended, craft-based activities), Invitations to Play (sensory-based activities), and Big Projects (ongoing process-art activities). Most feature basic materials and tools (paper, inexpensive paints, pencils, glue) that require little setup.
Among the projects and activities you’ll find:
- A collage project that takes a no-rules approach to creating with cut-out drawings and pictures.
- Ideas for building a science station that allow kids to experiment with kitchen cabinet supplies such as soap, measuring spoons, cotton balls, and baking soda.
- A prompt to draw a self-portrait, using a mirror (parents can draw themselves, too).
- Instructions for making homemade colored playdough.
The activities in Play, Make, Create promote active, meaningful, and socially interactive learning. Children are encouraged to wonder, experiment, and use critical thinking—and most of all, enjoy the process. By following their own inclinations and making their own choices, children gain self-confidence and hone their problem-solving skills.
WHAT'S INSIDE THE BOOK?
- 40 process art based creative activities for children.
- Advice for parents on how to set up activities as 'creative invitations'.
- 160 pages of beautiful full colour images.
- Activities suitable for ages 4-8yrs.
The book is soft back with 160 pages and measures 21cm x 25cm.
Publisher: Quarry Books
Please select all options.